Tuesday, April 23, 2019

A Passover Confession

Passover, the holiday of eating Matzos and telling of the Jewish people's exodus from ancient Egypt and from slavery to being a free if roaming tribes, is in full swing. It began this year on April 19 and will culminate on the 26th.




We're supposed to eat only unleavened bread, the famous (some may say infamous) matzos, because our ancestors had to leave in a hurry and couldn't wait for the dough to rise. I somehow doubt that in their hurrying to bake unrisen dough they got such wonderful crispy results as the modern Matzo. But that's not the point. It serves us as a reminder. A visceral note for the body to acknowledge that this period of time is different.



But I eat matzo every single day of the year. It's part of my breakfast, (with cheese) and lunch, (with hummus or peanut butter) and just about anytime. I do this because I really (really, REALLY) like it. Just ask DH, who lives here. Mirka's matzo is a staple, always on the counter.


So sue me. I'm cheating Passover. I would probably note the difference more if I eat bread on passover, perish the thought.




6 comments:

Evelyn said...

Wishing you a blessed and meaningful Passover celebration, dear friend, whether the matzo makes it meaningful or not.

Sherry Ellis said...

My husband is Jewish, so we celebrate Passover. The first time I experienced it, I was shocked. I never expected so much food. I thought they were in a hurry to get out of Egypt. Why would they have time to cook so much? My in-laws are still laughing about that.

Barbara Etlin said...

Happy Passover and enjoy your matzoh. It doesn't agree with my digestion, so I eat it sparingly.

I think Worf of Star Trek: The Next Generation gave useful advice about eating Matzoh (although he wasn't referring to Matzoh when he said it):

"Prune juice is a warrior's drink."

Vijaya said...

There's a reason why we fast before the feast, no? I have a feeling that you keep the Passover in your heart all the time.

Janie Junebug said...

I don't think I've ever eaten a Matzoh. Yet another item I should try. Wishing you a blessed Passover.

Love,
Janie

Kelly Hashway said...

Happy passover! My boyfriend junior year in high school was Jewish, so I got to participate in all the Jewish holidays that year. :)