There is something ominously grim when I look at January 30th’s notable marks. On this calendar day in 1933, Hitler was sworn as chancellor of Germany. On this calendar day in 1948, Gandhi was assassinated. On this calendar date in 1956, African-American civil rights leader .'s home is bombed in retaliation for the
That’s just for starters. On this date, also---
· 1925 – The Government of Turkey expels Patriarch Constantine VI from Istanbul.
· 1930 – The Politburo of the Soviet Union orders the extermination of the Kulaks.
· 1969 – The Beatles' last public performance, on the roof of Apple Records in London. The police break up the impromptu concert.
· 1972 – The Troubles: Bloody Sunday: British paratroopers open fire on anti-internment marchers in Derry, Northern Ireland, killing 13 people; another person later dies of injuries sustained.
· 1979 – A Varig Boeing 707-323C freighter disappears over the Pacific Ocean 30 minutes after taking off from Tokyo.
And so much more.
If this is your birthday, I apologize. I hope you celebrate with gusto and do something wonderful so the cloud hovering over this date lightens a little. Many small and a few great actions can make the kettle less black. Let’s polish it into a beautiful reflective silver shine.
I don’t know what is set in stone, predestined, or guided by unseen patterns. What I am sure of is that what we do matters.
History was. Now let’s make some.