Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Re-starting Agent Search

 

I’ve been agented before, and I’m going to be honest here— I loved having an agent.


What I didn’t love was the process of knocking on agents’ doors.


Reminder to self before embarking on this road:

A.     Queries need to be succinct

B.      Invest in every query, but not too much because…

C.     …Most will either be ignored or rejected with a form email

D.     Treasure the replies that ask for more materials, revision, or invite future queries, for…

E.     …Those are the only ones worth investing in and the only ones that count.

 

The query landscape has never been more crowded, and thus most voices are drowned by the multitude’s noise.

 

Got to have faith in my equanimity, my manuscripts, and my ability to weather this trek.

All experienced advice welcome 👍

Here we go---



4 comments:

Vijaya said...

No advice here, Mirka. Good luck to you. I'll take your tips as I cautiously dip my toes into queryland.

Barbara Etlin said...

This is not a fun quest, but it's a very worthwhile one. You know the basics, so it's a matter of sending them out relentlessly until you strike gold. It only takes one yes. Keep going!

MirkaK said...

Yes, it's tricky. Good luck getting another agent. I hope the trek is not arduous.

Sherry Ellis said...

It must be quite a job for agents to go through the large amounts of query letters and manuscripts they receive!