A few years ago, my then-agent sent to all his writers a
short list of what an editor he knew was looking for. One item on the editor’s
wish-list sparked my writing gears.
It was “A story unbelievable but true.” Documenting the
factual in the story should come in an Author Note, it said.
I have a few such anecdotes from my own life. The sort that
when I shared them with friends not all of them believed me. But I knew they
were true because it happened to me, for real.
I immediately wrote about one of these, and as soon as I
finished, I also knew it was not for publication because it wasn’t the sort of “True
but Unbelievable” anecdote the editor was looking for. That story wound up on
my website, where it appropriately seemed to settle.
You can read it here: https://mirkabreen.com/my-blog/f/before-you-check-my-real-bloga-little-story
The thing about anecdotes is that they are already stories.
How to turn them into the sort a publisher would consider is elaborated on in this
link: https://janefriedman.com/how-to-turn-an-anecdote-into-a-story/
Whether for publication and of wider interest or not, all interesting anecdotes are worth telling. If no one believes you, you know what you know and others were nonetheless hopefully entertained.

1 comment:
What an amazing story, Mirka! Thank you for sharing it with those of us who love children and children's stories.
Post a Comment