Tuesday, December 13, 2022

FAVORITE UNDER-APPRECIATED NOVEL

 

One of the oft-asked questions in the literary community is about novels that do not have the halo of The Greats, but should.

 

There are many, and despite the notion that a great novel would have deep but also universal appeal, in the end it is a personal connection that makes it one of the books that transformed you.

 

Today, I pick one that most would classify as a novella.

 

THE ALL OF IT by Jeannette Haien is one such story for me. I wouldn’t have known about it were it not for a local book store’s clerk’s recommendation. When she recommended this book, even her colleague, standing nearby, raised his eyebrows and admitted he hadn’t heard of it. I suspect I bought it because at the time my life was hectic and the book appeared short.

 

It was one of those pivotal moments in my reading life. This novella changed the way I think, which is something books have the power to, but rarely do.

 

I am not saying *you* should read it. But everyone has this sort of book in their bookbag, and this is one of mine. Obviously, there are many universally recognized GREATS that I carry with me. But this is one of the lesser-known treasures, and all the more precious for having come into my sphere with little attention from the usual sources.

 

Feel free to share underrated books that, for you, were transformative.


11 comments:

Joy Moore said...

The Imposter by Davis Bunn.

MirkaK said...

I find it hard to choose one book, having read or listened to so many thousands of them over the decades. Each had a different impact at a different time as circumstances changed. But I do remember loving the Nancy Drew series when I was just a girl. She was curious, had adventures, and solved mysteries. I was probably unconsciously drawn to her because it turned out that she reinforced my own curiosity, adventurousness, and inclination toward research. And I still love reading and listening to mysteries.

Mirka Breen said...

MirkaK, I just want to note that the Nancy Drew books were very much lauded, at least by the millions of young readers who loved them. This post is about books that are less well-known but should be, because they are transformational masterpieces :)

Vijaya said...

It's lovely to shine a light on underappreciated books. For me that will always be a slim gem: The Book of Everything by Guus Kuijer (translated from the Dutch). Another slim gem is Laundry, Liturgy and Women's Work by Kathleen Norris. And more are coming to mind :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I can't really think of a "life changing" book that isn't already famous. I do know that A Tree Grows In Brooklyn had that effect on me. I read it several times. But you've made me curious to read The All of It.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Actually, when I think of it, Tinkers by Paul Harding.

janlcoates said...

Nothing springs to mind (I'm terrible with book titles), but I'll look for The Book of Everything and The All of It. Cheers!

Janie Junebug said...

I need to give this topic some thought. I can't think of a book that's been important to me that hasn't been lauded and loved.

Love,
Janie

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I am going to find this book! I love hearing about little known books that have changed someone's life. For me, the most recent one is The Pleasure Trap by Dr. Doug Lisle.

Sue said...

The first author I really became aware of as a voracious teen reader was Mary Stewart. I love her romantic suspense and then when she came out with her Merlin trilogy--oh, wow! She made the characters come alive and I judged other authors by her writing. I still periodically reread these books. If I could only recommend one of her titles, it's tough, but probably NINE COACHES WAITING.

Evelyn said...

I can't think of a book that fits the category you're requesting, but I'll plan to check out your recommended The All of It.