Tuesday, October 11, 2022

SUKKOT was Supposed to be a REMINDER

 

The Sukkot holiday, now upon us, was meant to remind the Jewish people of our time as a homeless nation, living in tents, on the way to the promised land.

I have lived through many Sukkots, and it doesn’t seem to do any such thing.

 

During the Great Depression, large shantytowns popped up all over the land. They were nicknamed “Hoovervilles,” in reverse honor of the then president, Herbert Hoover (1929-1932) whose misfortune was to usher in the economic downturn.  Today, our cities have homeless encampments that don’t even get to be categorized as huts. They are tents stretching for miles.

 

 As such, the commandment to dwell in tents that have porous roof covers (“Sukkot” in Hebrew) could be a reminder of those who do not have solid roofs over their heads. But as I have witnessed all my life, these happy super decorated lovely sukkots are a place to party, leisurely sipping outsized drinks and hors d'oeuvres. They are nothing if not lovely excuses for garden parties.

It’s nice, but no longer serves as it was intended.

 

I’m honoring Sukkot by being grateful for the roof over my head. I’m skipping the party.


5 comments:

Vijaya said...

Alas, too many holidays are no longer holy. I'm glad you honor the spirit of Sukkot. I'm grateful too, for a solid roof over my head.

Evelyn said...

Yes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, bombings,...leaving so many people without a roof over their heads. Thank you, Mirka, for reminding us to be grateful for the blessings we have.

Barbara Etlin said...

My friend used to have Sukkot parties (mostly) for that reason: it was held in her garden and so she could invite everyone she didn't have room for inside her house. I miss those parties...

Mirka Breen said...

Garden parties are very nice. We used to have mini ones on July fourth. I honestly think Sukkot isn't the time for them, as what it's about is lost.

Mirka Breen said...

P.S. I can just see it now: I'm the Grinch that's stealing Sukkot ;P