Tuesday, October 18, 2022

KEEP IT SHORT

 or

BRIEF


We know the saying, (some attribute to Mark Twain) “If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter letter.”

Another version of this notion tells about a US senator who was asked to address a high school and tell them about his job.

 

At question time, one of the students asked, “How long does it take you to prepare a speech?"

 

The senator replied, “It depends on time. If you want a fifteen-minute speech, I would need two weeks. If you want a five-minute speech, I would require four weeks, and if you want an hour's speech, I can start straight away.”

 

This is even more important in query letters. A few months back, a writing friend gave me feedback on the “Bio” paragraph in mine. I had two versions, one longer and more personal in tone, and one shorter and more businesslike.

 

I thought both were short and was happy with how I managed to succinctly distill my life and writing journey into a single brief paragraph.

 

My friend chopped away the branches, shaved off the bark, and left my shorter version with only the heartwood. Her edit is the one I will  now use in queries.

 

It takes time, reflection, and the help of a good writing friend to make it shorter.

©K. J. Lamb


7 comments:

Vijaya said...

So true. Less is more.

Mirka Breen said...

^Gratitude for succinct comment ;)

Evelyn said...

Well said. It's usually the pithy comments we remember.

MirkaK said...

I don’t remember who said “brevity is the soul of wit,” but you are right that cutting down to the heartwood is a good idea. Editors are too often beleaguered to read more and prefer someone who knows how to cut to the chase.

Mirka Breen said...

MirkaK, I've been told my writing tends to be terse, so there's hope on that (word-)count. Editors still have to deal with my typos ;)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Great reminder. I love the examples you gave. I run to the garralous in things like queries, and have to cut and cut and cut. But for some reason, in my fiction, it's just the opposite. I start out too lean, then have to expand, then cut again.

Janie Junebug said...

I tend to provide too much information. One aspect of my job has helped me learn to pare it down.

Love,
Janie