Tuesday, March 22, 2022

SEASONS and SEASONINGS

 

Where I live, in California’s bay area, there is basically only one season.

Lucky us, the season is SPRING.


It goes something like this:

Bay area summer = Spring with morning fog

Bay area fall = Spring without the morning fog

Bay area winter = Spring with some rain

Bay area spring = well, just spring


I have dealt with this boring blessing by creating seasonality in artificial ways.

Example—

I change the bed’s quilt, and thus my bed reflects seasonality.

SUMMER^


FALL^


WINTER^


SPRING^


The cats are perennial.

 

It occurred to me that the stories I write are similar. My life is a steady road with mini-bumps for variety. The stories are life accentuated, outlined, marked with eye-popping swatches of drama.

The bed frame is akin to the daily discipline of writing, and the cats (i.e., the stand-ins for the narrator who is me) are the constant sentient beings. The quilts serve to delineate the titles from each other. 

Thus, stories are life with spicy seasoning.

🌻Happy Spring🌻


10 comments:

Vijaya said...

Your writing life looks sweet with the perennial mews! Happy spring!

Evelyn said...

Glad you've found such a fun way to enjoy each season. And I like you season analogy to writing. I feel so blessed to live somewhere where the seasons are definitely distinct. I love the beautiful leaf colors in the fall, the peaceful, softly falling snow in the winter, the joyous anticipation of flower bulbs in the spring, and the shorts-and-sleeveless-shirt enjoyment of summer. It's good that people can enjoy living in all kinds of different places.

Unknown said...

You need to visit Iowa in the winter when it's -20!
Love the different quilts!
~Tina

Mirka Breen said...

Tina, it's a sunny 82 degrees here today and it's March 22nd :)

Katie L. Carroll said...

Here in New England we are well-known for our changing seasons, sometimes seemingly experiencing them all in one day! I always find it a relief to herald in the warmer seasons. Happy spring!

MirkaK said...

Interesting that you think there's only one season in northern California. After the last two unusually warm days for March, I said to my husband, "I didn't even get to wear my winter gear!" When I lived on Maui, there were even more subtle changes that visitors to the islands generally didn't detect. But we residents certainly noticed them.

Barbara Etlin said...

Eternal Spring: yet another reason I want to move to California! I usually visited it in theoretical Winter, but I remember San Francisco's thick morning fog in January and February.

Mirka Breen said...

Surprising, Barbara, as the daily morning fog is much more a bay Area summer phenomenon.

Sue said...

Did you make the quilts?

Mirka Breen said...

Sue, I've embroidered and have restored weaves, but never quilted ;)