Tuesday, March 8, 2022

NEVER RUN OUT OF STORIES

 

Our lives are filled with possibilities that haven’t materialized. Stories are conjured of things that do.

 

      When the story-well feels empty, I think of it this way:

1.      Here are the blessings I have. (I count them). Blessings do not make for story-hooks, but I need to do this in order to take the next step.

2.      Here are the frustrations and lackings I experience. (I list them)

      Every one of the items on the lacking list begs for a “what if...”

{As in what if instead of having an editor pass on my manuscript, it got multiple offers. Or what if instead of having my old clunker of a car stolen, I won a brand new one in a raffle and got to donate the old one to someone who needed it.}

 

Most of the what-ifs are stories. My mind lets the possibilities in. Starting from the point of lack, and moving through challenges, to a point of either triumph or acceptance of the lack, which is an inner triumph.

 

I didn’t develop this exercise in order to think up story ideas; it’s something I always did naturally. But it also assures I will never run out of ideas.

Unless, of course, I find myself counting my blessings and having not a single lack.

Well, that’s not going to happen. Nevermore.



5 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

What-ifs are a great starting point for stories. I've done this myself.

Evelyn said...

What a great way to come up with story ideas! Thank you for sharing.

Barbara Etlin said...

Excellent story-generating idea! Thanks.

Vijaya said...

I love playing What If? My sister and I did this all the time while people watching. There's a really great book with that title by Anne Bernays and Pamela Painter that has exercises to develop this skill. Highly recommend for all fiction writers.

Sue said...

Definitely a good question. And I agree that starting in a positive place by counting your blessings first helps creativity.