Tuesday, January 18, 2022

THE THING MOST NEEDFUL

 

I had an epiphany when reflecting on last week’s private events.


What made me happiest was not having finished draft #2 of my current  MG WIP. (Yay!)


It wasn’t getting a request for the full finished MG manuscript (not the WIP 😀) from an agent I could only dream would ask. (Yippy!)


It was not agreeing to a critique exchange with a writer whose opinion and work I think highly of. (Hoorah!)


It wasn't even penning a first draft to a Picture Book whose character tickles my funny bone every time I think of it. (Hee-Hee!)


No. What made me truly happy was that one day I had an hour and a half video chat with DS, and he looked handsome and healthy. 


What made me happy was seeing DD’s post on an upcoming months’ performing schedule, which looked robust and promising. I know how important this is for her.


What made me happiest was that family members in Israel, all stricken with Covid, passed through it quickly and in fine shape.


This is what I realized: none of the things that made me happiest were up to me. The things that are up to me were good, but they ranked behind.


And all of this reminded me that happiness is not something to seek. Just count the moments of grace and appreciate they happened.


Appreciating you, if you are reading this, right now.



7 comments:

MirkaK said...

As Rabbi Kushner wrote: “You don’t become happy by pursuing happiness. You become happy by living a life that means something...the happiest people you know are the ones who work at being kind, helpful, and reliable, and happiness sneaks into their lives while they are busy doing those things.” I would add that, as you point out, happiness comes from those small (or big) moments shared with a loved one or stranger, from experiences in the everyday wonders of Nature, in the simplest satisfactions (cleaning out that stuffed closet), and even sitting quietly breathing in and out, aware of life’s bounty.

Evelyn said...

Well, it makes me happy to hear about all the things that made you happy, dear friend. I'm very glad for each one of them.

Vijaya said...

That's a lovely quote, MirkaK. Yes, indeed. It's lovely to read about the people you love being and doing well, MirkaB. Deo gratias! We've been sick with the winter crud, not bad except for the intense fatigue, and stayed home for nearly 3 wks. And even in that state of poverty, there were simple joys--purry kitties, hot soup, a funny movie. We're back to Mass and singing and of all things, it makes me happiest. Writing is a close second :)

janlcoates said...

That's one of the (many) things they don't tell you before you have a baby - no matter their age, their lives will always be #1 on your priority list (and #1 in your heart, of course). Hope 2022 will be a fulfilling, healthy year for you and yours!

Barbara Etlin said...

Lots of good stuff happening for you, lots to be grateful for. It seems that personal relationships mean the most to you, more than your (considerable) achievements.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

What a lovely post. Happiness consists of those special "moments" after all, more than grand achievements. Although accomplishments can make you feel pleased, for sure, but in a whole different way.

Sue said...

Truth here!