Tuesday, November 23, 2021

GIVING THANKS

 

Thanksgiving, after all

 

This Thanksgiving, rather than think turkey, (i.e. a mass-slaughter time for animal lovers) pumpkin, (why can’t it be Apple or chocolate, say the real dessert fiends) family, (for better and worse, as a plethora of articles on depression have come to flood the media starting holiday season) or national commemoration (as revisionist historians remind us, this day commemorates colonizing) I would like to cast off the darkness for once, and focus on gratitude.

 

“Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” 

— Voltaire

© From THERE’S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR by Mirka Breen/Illustrated by Sonia Hallett


Giving thanks, that’s all. The rest is noise.

6 comments:

Evelyn said...

Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving, dear Mirka! I'm grateful for you, and I appreciate the interesting, thought-provoking posts you have here for us throughout the year.
And I agree, this holiday is about giving thanks and appreciating all we have to be grateful for.

Vijaya said...

It's my favorite American holiday, Mirka, for exactly what you say--thanksgiving for all the blessings. Thankful for you and your words in my life.

Vijaya said...

And so cool to see some artwork from your first book!

Barbara Etlin said...

I'm grateful to read your blog. Happy Thanksgiving, Mirka!

Tina Cho said...

Thankful for you & our P&B. Happy Thanksgiving!

MirkaK said...

I agree. It should be about gratitude rather than gluttony. As an immigrant child, I didn’t have Thanksgiving at home, but American cousins would invite us to join them. As a vegetarian, I haven’t eaten turkey for more than 5 decades. My British neighbors, who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, made a scrumtious Indian (curry) dinner and I brought a cranberry/walnut/raisin pie.