Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I’ve Died and Gone to Heaven

Almost ten years ago, when my daughter (though only ten years old then) already set her path as a pianist, I told her what I wanted her to play at my funeral. It was not a morbid conversation, but rather my way of pointing an exquisite piece of music to her attention.


You can hear it on this link, played with beautiful restraint by Dinu Lipatti—






Fast forward ten years, and DD, back home between semesters, had a recital scheduled in Berkeley for the last day of her break. She had programmed this chorale, J S Bach chorale prelude bwv 639, to be included in the concert. 

She polished it on our piano, and for ten days, it seemed that every time I walked into the room, my funeral music was playing. 

On Saturday January 7th 2017 she played it for the audience, and it was magnificent.

I figured that now I don’t have to go to, or even be at, my funeral. I can skip it, because I got to hear it already.

11 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

A much happier way to enjoy the music! Now, no more funeral talk!

Johnell said...

Ha. Yep. You get to be immortal now. As is good music. :)

Vonna said...

Wow, I just listened. How lovely! Congratulations to your daughter for doing so well with it!

Tina Cho said...

Beautiful song. That's so sweet your daughter honored you by learning the song. She's prepared!

Evelyn said...

Beautiful music. I'm so glad DD could provide that wonderful listening experience for you both at home and at the concert.

Unknown said...

Maybe it is time for a funeral for a period in your life? Meaning there's a new beginning on some energetic level too :)

Mirka Breen said...

Thank you, Little Brother ;)
<3

Trine Grillo said...

Delightful, Mirka!

Diane Kress Hower said...

So you do get what you wish Mirka! Fun post.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful beautiful music. Your words made me think of two events, one light and the other not. First of Tom Sawyer popping in on his own funeral. And second of a sad time when my son's young friend came rushing into their school's music library and asked my son to help him select funeral music for his mom who had succumbed to cancer. But back to the fun of this post, SO great you got to hear all your daughter's practice times as well as the final performance, a wonderful thing when kids come home and fill the house with music again.

janlcoates said...

Great video - love the B&W pictures. The comments are interesting, too including "How could you listen to this and not feel suicidal?" Yikes!
You must be a proud Mama.