…FOR LATER
Much later.
There’s a truth almost universally acknowledged that a
writer who wishes to improve must set aside their first drafts and not so much
as glance at the pages for a long time. Only after time has passed, will the
writer begin to “see” if the writing carries merit.
This post is not about polishing one’s writing, but about
perspective on one’s emotional life.
The advice goes something like this: Write down what is
bothering you, even to the point of ailment, and tuck that piece of paper (or
digital file) away. Let a year pass, then take it out.
Only then will you know if the weighty burdens of the year
before are--
1.
Still valid
2.
Much lighter
3.
Ridiculous
4.
Hilarious
All the above are possible, and I’ve experienced them. It’s
what perspective is all about.
In this way, the writing and revising process echoes life.
So, write it down for now, and read it later. Much later.

5 comments:
Writing is so healing. But I throw away my journals after some time--perhaps tearing pages that might have a few golden nuggets.
5. Written in decent English.
You are so right! I've kept journals for decades, writing down what was better left unexpressed vocally.
I would never be able to wait a year! Some things have to be handled immediately.
Love,
Janie
This reminds me of the owl t-shirt I wore yesterday, which reads, "Knowledge is knowing what to say. Wisdom is knowing whether or not to say it."
Post a Comment