The above is not a simple matter. This applies to every
notion and decision on life’s journey, but writers know it as how to handle
critical feedback, whether from caring beta readers or less caring
publishing professionals.
Long ago, when a beta reader to one of my manuscripts
reacted to only one small aspect of the story with “how could this protagonist
be so mean to her sister,” I scratched my head (the MC was in no way “mean” to
her sister, nor was any aspect of the sisterly relationship central to the tale)
until I remembered this beta had long complained about having a mean sister.
This Beta was not on speaking terms with her only sister, something she
mentioned often.
It was long ago, and it was also a pivotal moment in my
addressing others’ input into my understanding of reality.
It’s their narrative. I have mine. I’ll always listen,
weigh, and always, but ALWAYS, note who it’s coming from.
When I don’t know the person enough to evaluate, I put what
they report on a mental shelf, to be looked at and consider along with other
items as I move along. When I do, who they are and what I know about them is
front of center.
I recently had two betas giving opposing advice that was not
just incompatible; it was diametrically contradictory. I shelved it and two
months later I have decided (because I know them both, one much better than the
other) to ignore both of their suggestions.
It’s my narrative. That’s why.

No comments:
Post a Comment