Tuesday, September 3, 2024

SEEKING STRUCTURE

 

Structure is the first aspect of building a story. It’s also how we frame coherent thoughts.


This post speaks of how crucial it is for writers, specifically of memoirs.


Books like SAVE THE CAT in all its variations give not only rough, but very detailed story beats.

If you’ve read the original, written specifically for screenwriters, you will never see most movies the same way. You’ll recognize these story beats, or turns, clicking in like clockwork.


At least for me, all genre stories begin to read the same.

The mini surprises lie in the specifics, but never in the rising or receding action/tension. The cat gets saved with numbing predictability.


Good story structure is a safety net. But please don’t be a slave to it.


Who am I saying this to?

The storyteller, of course. The storyteller in me.


5 comments:

Vijaya said...

I loved Saved the Cat and also Save the Cat goes to the Movies. Brilliant. Max and I both love to predict what's going to happen in movies and we're usually right. Haha!

MirkaK said...

Whether it is for a building or a book or a human being, structure is essential.

Barbara Etlin said...

Some writers like or need at least a loose idea of where you're going, or they get lost and give up. (That would be me, the plotter.) But some others (members of my critique group, for example) run away from anything resembling plotting and pants their way through. They need quite a bit of revision. I don't. I edit as I go along and have a decent first draft.

Evelyn said...

I like the picture. It reminds me strongly of you. :)

Sherry Ellis said...

I've read Save the Cat for writing novels, but not the original for writing screen plays. I should read that. I think I will try following the "formula" for the next book that's in my head.