Tuesday, January 23, 2024

THE MONEY in WRITING

 

OR

WRITERS and MONEY

By some estimates there are hundreds of thousands of Americans who write full time. Some sources claim as many as one million. This last number includes those who write articles and writers of non-fiction.

 

I know, this is vague. But it’s sobering to look at the storytellers who write fiction, whose numbers are closer to three hundred thousand. (Who makes these estimates? How reliable are they? I plead confusion. But anyway…)

 

It’s sobering to realize only about three hundred fiction writers make a living solely from writing.

 

Cut that number by ninety percent to count the fiction writers who are seriously wealthy* from writing.

*Think Stephen King or J.K. Rowling

 

I received a decent advance only once, and royalties also only once, for two separate traditionally published books. This is my total fiction writing income to date.

{I was paid --nominally to decently-- for exactly four published articles, and a few times for editing work. This falls into the non-fiction category, which undoubtedly supports many more in the writing community.}

 

Here’s the kicker: I received (and continue to receive) nourishment from writing fiction, but money isn’t part of it.

 

If you’re to go down this road, it’s sobering and important to grasp how money fits or doesn't fit in. Many writers (many more than the likes of me) pay to be published. Some wind up paying substantial sums that they never recoup. Long ago, I was clear this pay-to-publish wasn’t going to be my way. Vanity or self-publishing didn’t interest me. Specifically, for kidlit-- it's a money-pit. 🙀

 

Go into it with awareness. Dreaming is fine. Your dreams may come true. But have your eyes open wide.

 

 Make sure you love writing for its own sake. That’s the bottom line.


4 comments:

Sue said...

Yes. I often make more from gigs related to writing: speaking, editing, author websites, teaching.

MirkaK said...

I couldn't agree more. While I managed to support myself as a non-fiction writer (books, articles, reviews, encyclopedia entries, editing), I certainly could have made a more substantial living doing other work. But, as has been said, it did make for such an interesting life, though not a lucrative one. I got to travel and meet many different people, some of whom even became friends afterward. I got to ask all kinds of questions that, under other circumstances, I could not have done. I got to learn and learn and learn. At a certain point, I donated royalties in honor of a person I wrote a book about instead of keeping them for myself. Despite the frustrations and challenges, I loved living the writing life. Had my intention been only to become famous and make a lot of money, I'd have become sorely disappointed instead of exhilarated.

Mirka Breen said...

MirkaK, you continue to be a great support to me, the other Mirka, in my writerly efforts. I very much appreciate meeting you on this road.

Evelyn said...

I earned a decent amount in royalties for several years. Since I'm a frugal person and live in an inexpensive part of the country, I could maybe have lived on it if I were a single person. But my writing income has been steadily declining since that high point in my career, so it's a good thing our household income doesn't depend on my writing. As you said, it's best to write because it brings you joy.