Tuesday, January 30, 2024

THE little MATTER OF GIVING UP

 

I have writing friends who say they are giving up.

 

They’re giving up writing new stories, querying agents, submitting to small publishers, and even giving up on interacting with other writers on chat groups.

 

They are dismayed at the state of publishing. Some have had great publishing credits in the past. Others have had a modicum of success, and a few have had no publishing credits. All have no interest or means ($$$) to self-publish & promote.

 

It’s okay to give up. It’s okay to do so and later change your mind. It’s okay no matter what.

 

But if writing new stories is enriching, all the giving up talk makes no sense to me.

 

Why would you deprive yourself of the deep pleasure and stimulation that writing has given you? If it’s to spare the disappointment of rejection, then isn’t all of life full of setbacks and disappointments? These are in fact some of the most enriching aspects of life, even as emotional pain isn’t “fun.”


There will be eternity in the grave to rest life’s challenging turns. Until then, writers— tell your stories.


5 comments:

MirkaK said...

I agree with you. Yes, the publishing world is certainly not what it once was, but also there are things that haven't changed. Some people write because they desire fame and fortune, but I would bet that most people who write do so because they must. They must respond to the creative urge; they need to express themselves and to share that with others. Only a small percentage of writers and artists hit the big time or even enough to make a modest living. It's important to check out why we write or paint or sculpt or whatever. Some art critics posit that art is not art without an audience, but I beg to differ. Sometimes the only audience you need is yourself and maybe some friends and family. It all depends on what you're after.

Vijaya said...

Agreed, Mirka. I've not quit yet because the ideas keep coming but it no longer feels as urgent as it did before. Music is taking up more of my time. I've still not able to figure out a way to do it all well and I do want it all.

Evelyn said...

Sometimes the urge to write just isn't there. For some people. I've always considered my writing ideas gifts from God. Maybe God has different gifts he wants to give me now. For many years my gift was teaching. I'm no longer teaching. Life is not static. You may always have your urge to write. That's wonderful if you do. Enjoy it, write to your fullest capacity! But we're all wired differently.

Sue said...

Yes, the ideas still come, so I must write.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I often think about Van Gogh who died young in poverty and despair, having had little or no success with his work. His brother was his greatest fan and supporter. Still, there are times when giving up is the wise choice. Or perhaps putting the work on hold for awhile until the passion returns. If it never does, then it's good to have given up and moved on.