Tuesday, November 14, 2023

THE WISTFULNESS OF FALL

 

Wistful: A sadness tinged with longing, often having a hint of sweetness.

 

Fall is an odd time because (like its name) it evokes decline/demise and closure of life’s affirmations, so redolent in spring and fully manifested in summer.

 

It’s also a romantic time, because light becomes less harsh and the unforgiving cracks and wrinkles brightness exposes are softened.

 

The natural world of which we are a part shifts to a lower, slower gear. Slow is comforting, but also sad.

 

Fall is an awesome mixture. The trek of life, always marching toward death and rebirth, sings its swansong.

 

Do go gently into winter.

©Photo Rachel Breen




5 comments:

MirkaK said...

While I love the glorious profusion of green in the winter (in California) and the flowers that soon follow, I also love autumn for the changes, not just in foliage but also in sunsets and sunrises and cloud formations. Every season has its beauty. And I look forward to slowing down and at least partially hibernating in the winter after so much activity for months on end.

Dave said...

I love the first two thirds of fall--the colours, the temps, the get-togethers--but the last third always seems too busy and grey (until the snow falls).

Evelyn said...

I enjoy the fall colors, so amazingly brilliant in Kentucky. This year I feel like I missed out on a lot of it, but hopefully there'll be other years.

Vijaya said...

I, too, love when the weather cools and we have a profusion of color--red and gold amidst the green. I'm adjusting to wearing heavier clothes, but loving this bright and crisp fall. We like going to the cemetery to pray for the dead too. It seems fitting.

Diane Kress Hower said...

Fall is my favorite season and you described my adult experience so well, Mirka. Do you write poetry? I think you should. Thanks for making my morning sparkle.