Tuesday, September 12, 2023

HOW DO YOU COUNT THE YEARS?

 

For most, the Gregorian calendar is their year-counter.

The number changes, and with it come the New Year’s Resolutions, the taking-account of last year’s hits and misses, and the sense of a new beginning.

 

For me the year begins September first.

 

The Jewish New Year is somewhat responsible for this conditioning, but more than Rosh Hashanah (sometime in September) it is the start of a new school year where I grew up.

 

Later, my kids’ school year signified all the projects I have promised myself I’d tackle once I had my weekday mornings to plan as I wish.

 

September first had become the start of writing a new novel, first draft to be done before the Gregorian calendar chimes a new number. (The rest of the year until June will include at least five drafts, with a few short stories during breaks between them.)

 

So here I am, deep in, and feeling both the exhilaration and terror of draft #1, praying the muse will not leave before the clock chimes midnight on December 31st

.

Happy New Year

5 comments:

Janie Junebug said...

Best wishes for a new year and new writing, and congratulations to you for following a schedule.

Love,
Janie

Vijaya said...

Happy New Year, dear Mirka. Like you, the start of school also helped me to take stock of what I wanted to complete by the end of the year. And the habit has persisted.

Evelyn said...

Best wishes on the new novel, dear Mirka! I hope you'll have lots of fun writing it. I'll look forward to reading it when you've finished.

MirkaK said...

Shana tova! May the writing go smoothly and satisfyingly.

Barbara Etlin said...

Happy Rosh Hashana! I feel that I get three new years: the Gregorian calendar, Rosh Hashana, and my birthday.