Tuesday, March 7, 2023

PURIM, LONG AGO---

 

Purim is celebrated today all over the Jewish world. This holiday of dressing in costumes, reading the scroll of Esther, and drinking to oblivion (by religious commandment to drink to a state where one can’t tell the difference between a Haman, the arch villain, and a Mordechai, the righteous hero) is a hoot.

 

I only celebrated it as a child, and drinking was not part of our allotment, thank you very much. But costumes certainly were.

 

I had the great fortune to have a best friend whose mother was a genius seamstress. Thus, in grades 2-4 I got to pair with my friend as her mother made us into Mini and Mickey (the Disney mice) and into a she and he sailors. In fifth grade I wore a costume my mother had bought for me while we were briefly in the Netherlands. I was a Dutch girl, and I only remember how uncomfortable the wooden shoes were. I didn’t dance that Purim.

 

In sixth grade, I was on my own. My mother said I was old enough to make my own costume, and for some reason, I agreed. I had to think fast, because the party and the yearly competition for best costume were only a day away, and my original idea for dressing as my favorite magazine failed miserably in my attempted execution.

 

I had never won first prize, and I wasn’t thinking of any prize. I just didn’t want to be that kid, the one who showed up wearing plastic glasses and calling it “a costume.”

 

We had a song we sang back then. To the American melody of She’ll be Coming ’round the Mountain we sang the Hebrew words, “Madman in Pajamas.” Trust me, it works. That ditty never made any sense. But less than a day before the Great Purim Costume Party & Competition, it suddenly made sense to me.

 

And so, I was. I was a Madman (mad person?) in Pajamas. I danced and sang the song and waved an old flashlight my mother had inherited, and wada-ye-know, I won first prize.



Which goes to show that life can be senseless. It also shows that spontaneity and desperation are underrated, and should be given more respect.


7 comments:

Katie L. Carroll said...

My mom used to make all our costumes (for Halloween). I don't recall any award-winners, though!

Lorraine said...

Well, I learned something new today. Didn't know what Purim was all about.

Mirka Breen said...

Lorraine, to understand Purim I recommend you read the Scroll of Esther if you haven't before. It's a hoot. My husband referred to it as "a B Movie." :D

MirkaK said...

I agree, spontaneity and desperation are underrated. It's amazing what the brain can come up with at the last minute. I knew nothing about the madman in pajamas, but it sounds as though you did quite well in order to win first prize. Congrats!

Vijaya said...

I love this story! What fun!!! I love the story of Esther. It is quite a lesson in how to pray.

Tina Cho said...

What a fun memory, Mirka! I love the story of Esther!

Evelyn said...

I'm familiar with the story of Esther, Haman, and Mordechai, but I didn't know how Purim is celebrated. Thanks for sharing with us. A fun costume story!