Tuesday, March 14, 2023

CREATIVE WRITING THROUGH HARD LIFE-PATCHES

 

A few months back, I read a post about writing through the impossible. You can read it here.

I thought about the very first project I had scheduled to pen, a chapter book that I thought could be my magnum opus. (It wasn’t. It would be three more years before I began to know what I was doing.)

 

My youngest was about to start kindergarten, and for the first time in years I would have mornings to myself. I had dreamt of writing in a disciplined way for many years, but it never seemed possible.

 

It felt like it was a now-or-never sort of deal.

 

I got all the equipment I thought I needed. A year or two later, much of it became irrelevant as I learned how and what works for me, and the computer replaced most of these supplies/tools. But in late August of 2001 I thought I needed special paper, colored pencils, and a fine notebook with removable pages that would make the re-arranging (think cut-and-paste) and, what else—a quiet workspace in the corner of our bedroom.

Most important was the dedication to spending two solid hours every weekday morning at my desk. No ifs, ends, or buts. Only a personal medical emergency would override this solemn vow from me to me.

 

One week into it came a fateful Tuesday morning when our world came to a standstill. Yup, September 11, 2001. My husband was glued to CNN, and I, seeing the old pattern of excuses for why I couldn’t do what I had vowed to, made the intelligent decision to not give in this time. My two daily hours with the work I had assigned myself to complete were first, no matter that the world seemed on fire.


I recited the saying, if the world is going to end tomorrow, plant a tree.

 

It was one of the best decisions I ever made. To this day, I keep this vow. I will not allow anything to interfere with self-assigned writing work, be it feeling a bit sick, difficult chapters in personal relations, world crises, or just loss of motivating thread for a story.

I plow through. It’s a “just do it,” allowing myself to exceed the minimum but never do less.

 

Because what I have realized is that it isn’t the product or the quality of the writing experience. For me it’s the very work discipline that has been my salvation through the thick and the thin of life’s ever undulating thread weaving the fabric of time.


3 comments:

MirkaK said...

You have done yourself a great service by making that commitment and sticking to it, especially since that kind of self-discipline can then be translated to other parts of your life, wherever needed. I admire your ability to stay the course.

Evelyn said...

I'm impressed with your perseverance and adherence to your writing goals, Mirka. I have daily goals (my exercises, walking 30 minutes, playing the piano at least 5 minutes, doing my breathing treatments, etc.) which I do faithfully, but writing is not one of them.

Vijaya said...

Wow Mirka! It is wonderful you have stuck to your writing commitment. Even 9/11. I remember hearing the news on the radio and couldn't stop hugging my two babies. I was a newbie writer then and didn't even have words to process what I was hearing. Your post reminds me of the motto: Discipline is Freedom (Garth Fagan). Now I have a daily habit too, of prayer, writing, walking and it's a rare day when I skip the writing.