Tuesday, January 3, 2023

What to Wear/What to WRITE?

 

This morning, just awakened by my orange furry feline, I lay in bed and tried to think of what to wear for the day. I went over the things I have set to do and the current weather requirements. I thought of the items hanging in my closet.

I drew a complete blank.

The orange feline continued to insist. It was time to get out of bed and start a day full of this and that, which to her means mostly entertaining her.

And then I knew. I conjured the perfect attire for this day’s planned tasks. I was out of the warm bed without hesitation, raring to go.

 

A writing analogy came to me right then.

I thought about how similar it is to the days of writing first drafts. Some days I know exactly what the next sentence, the next paragraph, the next chapter is about. Specific words swirl in my head, ready to come out and dance.

Other days, I know what I have to do but no idea how to do it. It’s a white page, a blank mind, and getting going feels like time in slow motion.

 

But either way, I get dressed and get to writing. One way or another.

 

Long ago, a close relative came to say goodbye before we embarked on a trip back home.

I never remember jokes, but he left us with one so lame that it managed to stick to the crevices of my mind.

Mississippi asked Missouri, “What will Delaware?”

Said Miss Ouri to Miss Issippi, “Idaho, Alaska!”


I didn’t know it would be the last time I will see this relative.

 

Wherever you are, seize the day you were given. Throw some clothes on and get to it.



4 comments:

Barbara Etlin said...

Carpe diem: good advice.

Your post reminds me of one of my favourite dreams, in the late 70s, when a new Pope was going to be elected. I dreamed that I was elected Pope. That seemed perfectly normal to me, despite the fact that I was a Jewish woman. The only problem I had was that I had absolutely NOTHING suitable to wear to my coronation.

Vijaya said...

lol. sometimes you want something different. Same with writing. Good post. Love the lame joke too.

Evelyn said...

Good analogy. I usually decide the night before what I'm going to wear the next day, so I don't have to make decisions when I first wake up. :)

Sue said...

And sometimes I choose to write in pajamas. ;-)