Tuesday, July 16, 2024

THE BLACK HOLE OF EMAIL-VERSE

 

Email changed many things. The word mail shouldn’t be confused with the mail of yore.

 

For one, email is supposedly delivered in seconds. This means that not getting a reply for many days (think--more than ten) can feel like an insult, specifically with personal emails.

 

Email goes into the ether and, without a physical presence, depends on some form of acknowledgement of receipt. In personal email, this means a reply. In business, it can be an auto-receipt. Without either, it’s in the who-knows-if cloud.

 

The other day, my email program let me know two personal emails bounced for some technical reason. I re-sent them, and they didn’t get a “bounce” message the second time. Later, both friends asked me why I had sent twice, as they got it the first time.

 

At the mercy of this non-physical world, I could only mumble something about the bounce notifications having to do with some protocol/permissions that someone somewhere on the interwebs explained in terms neither I nor my friends understand.

 

Marvelous thing, this email business. But I confess I feel helpless sometimes when I can’t understand or imagine its path to my dear ones or the professionals I am dealing with.

 

The mystery of carrier pigeons is, at least, something the mind’s eye can envision. Ditto for physical mail.

 

But email remains a black hole. It swallows, and when it works, it spits out.


6 comments:

Lorraine said...

It's not always instant though. Sometimes I will email my husband and I won't get a response. Then he'll come home and I'll say, "Did you get my email about such and such?" and he'll say no. He'll show me on his phone that there's no email. I will then show him on my phone that I sent it. Then suddenly bells will ring and it appears magically and the argument ends with a sigh and a grunt. lol Same thing happens with text messages. It's crazy!

Vijaya said...

I love email, even when it seems gremlins are in my computer.

MirkaK said...

Whatever the glitches, email remains a marvel. I remember when I used to be abroad and the one way I could connect with family and friends was by writing aerograms, something no one in the younger generations would even recognize. In those days, international phone calls were prohibitively expensive. That I can now communicate with friends around the world in seconds is nothing short of a miracle, so I don't mind putting up with the snags, bumps, and occasional failures.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I think email is great for business but not so much for personal contact. There's a huge generational gap where younger people (like my kids' generation) simply ignore them and use it only for business. They want a text, a Marco Polo or even a phone call but none of them respond much to emails. Perhaps it's like Facebook and now only for old people?

Mirka Breen said...

No one thinks you have to respond INSTANTLY, Evelyn. But no response to true friends personal emails for many days (to quote myself above) is telling of a wish to distance, unless there are other serious considerations going on.

What Karen Jones Gowen said about younger folks no engaging via Email (it is a generational thing, I've learned) still holds in that they do respond within a few days to personal texts. When they don't, they themselves call it "ghosting." It's a passive-aggressive dismissal, or just plain bad manners.

That's my take.

Barbara Etlin said...

I greatly prefer email to the telephone. It's more convenient and less intrusive.