Tuesday, March 5, 2024

CONFLICTING ADVICE

 

Re-reading this post, I thought how hard it is to know, really know, which advise to follow when one opinionator differs from the other.

 

This is a perennial problem. It’s felt keenly when the less experienced ask for guidance from the more experienced. This is a universal dilemma which we encounter in every field and every matter.

 

Gone are the days when “father knew best” and adults were authorities on every issue under the sun. Besides, having grown up and now being one of those adults, means the final judgement is ours, and we own it.

 

The world of knowledge is complex, so we turn to experts. But, oh my, the experts don’t agree. Even if “most” (by whose measure?) say one thing, who’s to say the minority isn’t more correct? It’s happened before, countless times.

 

Here’s where I stand: I ask. I listen. I let feedback and information rest for a time and settle. Then I do what feels right to me.

 

Because, like the referenced post says, it often comes down to taste and sensibilities. We have to live with ours.


8 comments:

Dave said...

I think that's why "let it sit" is so important. Whether it's about your book or a new idea, sometimes your initial reaction isn't the best one. Once you let an idea ferment, that's when you can see it differently.

janlcoates said...

Nice. I'm working with a new-to-me editor for my upcoming non-fiction biography about a Canadian artist, and it's interesting to see our differences of opinion. But since I've been working on this project for YEARS, I realize she doesn't know the subject as well as I do. She's had some great suggestions for tweaks so far. Like you, I usually go with my gut most of the time.

Vijaya said...

I listen to those who have the best intentions for me, who love me. Their advice is golden. But yes, in the writing life, all advice isn't equal. One needs to judge with both the heart and mind what will best serve the story.

MirkaK said...

Sometimes, in a panic, we listen to what someone else suggests, but your strategy is the best: let things settle and then listen to your gut.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

My first reactions to emotionally-charged encounters, such as getting a negative critique or review, are nearly always wrong. But with a simple thank you for your input and then further thought, I will often find merit in the criticism. Sometimes though, a negative, critical person is just that, negative and critical, and it's best to say nothing and move on past.

Sherry Ellis said...

Ask, listen, let it sit. Good advice!

Evelyn said...

Yes, your advice to let it sit and then trust your inner self is wise. And I also pray for guidance about important matters.

Sue said...

I just had an example of this at an open mic where we got feedback on 3x5 cards. The agent said "too many adjectives and descriptors." Another person commented, "you have room to flesh this out." ha ha

It's a mg novel. I took the agent's advice because I could see where I'd overcomplicated.