Tuesday, August 15, 2023

THE TAIL/TALE OF TWO CATS

 

Many years ago, in a land far away, I had two cats who grew up as brothers.

 

One, named Kitten, was no kitten but a hefty oversized gray tiger cat. The other, named Blue Boy, had a more apt name because he was a Blue-point Siamese with the bluest eyes.

 

Here they are in an old photograph—




These brothers, no genetic connection, got along well. They even devised plots together to fool their parent, which was yours truly.

 

You see, they were put on special diets because of health (Blue Boy) and heft (Kitten) issues. They were not supposed to have the same food. They agreed on this point, but not on which food was for each. No matter how carefully and cheerfully offered, the moment I turned my back I’d sense them sleekly sneaking their way, each to the other’s food bowl.

 

My stern look and vocal admonition would quickly make them reverse course back to their assigned places. But then, if I looked away again, there they went doing their switcheroo.

 

This got me thinking about the human aspect of coveting what others have. In some instinctive way we share this with animals.

 

There’s a reason it’s one of the Ten Commandments. (Number ten, to be exact: “Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor’s.”)

 

My cats told me it is basic, instinctive, and not rational in the least. 

A reminder when bringing fictional characters to life that reason does not rule them.


3 comments:

Vijaya said...

Love it, Mirka. I find it fascinating that my cats keep an eye on each other and always want what the other is having. When my Siamese mix lost all his teeth and he began eating only soft food, the younger cat went on a hunger strike and would not eat her kibble. I relented. She got a tsp of the wet food as well and she was vindicated. Thus starteth the routine of an afternoon treat of moist meats for all the kitties forever and ever. Amen.

Evelyn said...

What a fun tail/tale!

MirkaK said...

Maybe it is something we all share, creatures human and non-human. Some birds take over another bird’s nest. Some dogs scarf down what’s in another dog’s bowl. Some people want what others have, even if they hadn’t wanted it before they see some else has it. Go figure!