Tuesday, June 20, 2023

COMMON TRAPS FOR ASPIRING* WRITERS

 

*First, do away with the word “aspiring.”

If you are writing you are already a writer, not an aspiring writer. The aspirants are the folks who say they will write someday when the stars align just right, as in when the moon is in the seventh skies and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

(Dates me, doesn’t it. The words for The Age of Aquarius from the musical Hair.)

 

When beginning a writer’s journey, the biggest trap is losing oneself to the notion that this is about the market, not self-discovery.

 

Conversely, the second biggest trap is to lose direction believing it’s about oneself only, and not the market.

 

Holding both truths at once, seemingly contradictory, is how to not fall into writerly traps.

 

Writing begins and forever remains a journey of self-discovery. But it must recognize fueling stations that take account of the market. It is about communicating these discoveries, and the market is the vehicle.

 

I instinctively understood the first but took a few years to acknowledge the second. Now I know I write for myself first, and to communicate to others a close second.


1 comment:

Vijaya said...

Good post. Yes, the aspiring writer bugs me too. Writing is such a voyage of discovery...and from the beginning, I wanted it to support itself and it did within a year with the magazine writing. Alas, that mentality also hindered developing novel-writing skills. I'll always be an apprentice :) Love this writing life.