Tuesday, April 18, 2023

REFLECTIONS ON THE UMPTEENTH DRAFT

 

There is a truth universally proclaimed, that artists are never happy with their own work.


For writers, this means feelings of loathsomeness when reading their own writing.


So, what is one supposed to think if when revising draft number (take your pick: three, thirteen, thirty-three) you find yourself liking your own writing?


There is no place to put such a feeling. You feel like a freak. But there it is.

Me likey!

Wishes of joy to all who make things. It’s allowed. Even the greatest creator of all gave themselves this permission:

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.” Genesis 1:31



*For more on how not to buy into the myth of the self-immolating creative and how to enjoy the writing journey, I wholeheartedly recommend Jane Yolen’s TAKE JOY

6 comments:

Vijaya said...

Yes! Take JOY!!! I find that I rarely like my exploratory drafts--there's good stuff that I'll keep it's in revision that I begin to see it coming closer to my original vision. Happy writing!

MirkaK said...

Such good encouragement! I remember a quote by Leonardo da Vinci that made me stop and realize that even the greatest creative individuals need that kind of encouragement. He wrote in his notebook: “Tell me, tell me, did I ever accomplish anything? Tell me, tell me, did I ever get anything done?"

Mirka Breen said...

Ha! Yes, Leonardo. You sure did.

Evelyn said...

Yes, sometimes I like what I write, but often it's not at the time I'm writing it. Sometimes it's even years later.

Janie Junebug said...

I hope all writers have times when they can find pleasure in their own words.

Love,
Janie

Sue said...

Whoa! Love that Leonardo da Vinci quote!

I hope we at least at times like our writing!

Sue