Tuesday, August 30, 2022

COOKING and COUNTING CLICKS

 

i.e. “LIKES”

Ever since Blogger figured how to not count bots or any mechanical un-peopled viewers, the viewing counting on my posts went from over a thousand (most of the traffic back then was from Russia and I know no one there) to less than a hundred on most posts. Some posts are fewer than fifty. If you’re reading this, you’re in an exclusive rarified club.

 

 I noticed a curious pattern to the posts that get almost double the clicks. They either contain cat pictures (oh, my 💓) or a recipe. I rarely do the latter, so it’s time, don’t you think? Not that I am motivated by clicks, but I feel like letting the summer leave with a bang.

 

And so I will share my favorite comfort food, which is good warm, (in winter) fabulous cold, (on a day like today) and for the most part is pretty good for you. It requires only one ingredient you’ll have to go hunting for, and trust me—you’ll be happy to have it on hand going forward. The rest are likely already in your refrigerator & pantry.

 

ROSE WATER PUDDING

2 cups whole milk

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/3 cup sugar

¼ cup Rose water (or Orange-blossom water) *

Chopped pistachio meat or Almonds for topping

 

*The Rose water is found in middle eastern food stores, and if you must, Amazon also sells it. It’s wonderful in fruit salad and in rice pudding, and for the cocktail crowd there’s no end to where it adds wistful cheer.

 

On low heat, bring the milk with cornstarch and sugar whisked in to a soft simmer, using a whisk the whole time. The moment it begins to boil, it will also thicken. Take it off the stove and whisk in the rosewater. Fantastic for cold evenings right away. It’s very nice chilled in small bowls and eaten with a spoon, nut meats sprinkled on top.

 

Can’t be simpler, can’t be better. You’re welcome.



6 comments:

Katie L. Carroll said...

Yum! Wish I could have milk because I would definitely try this.

Mirka Breen said...

I'm lactose intolerant, Katie, and I use lactose-free milk.

Evelyn said...

Sounds yummy. How long does the unused Rose Water last after the bottle is open?

Mirka Breen said...

Rose water should be refrigerated after opening, and will last for YEARS,(not kidding, I just checked my bottle from two years ago...) though it becomes a little less fragrant.

Vijaya said...

Rose milk with pistachios! Yum! Lovelovelove rose water.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Years ago when I lived in Berkeley, I had several Iranian friends, and a varian of this pudding was often served at their parties. It included rice. I never learned the recipe, but I remember it now so fondly after reading your post. It was just delicious!