Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Passover Brings Matzo* and a Recipe for You

 

*{Matzah in Hebrew pronunciation. Matzo is Yiddish}


The commandment to eat Matzo* to the exclusion of other bready/crackery/pastry thingies during the eight days of Passover divides the Jewish people into those who love it and those who suffer through it.

I’m decidedly on the side of the matzo lovers. In fact, I eat it all year round, which is actually a defiance of the original intended commandment. We are supposed to experience the difference that befell our ancestors during their exodos from Egypt. So if you eat matzo every day, how is Passover time different from all other times?

 

But I LOVE matzo, so sue me.

 

Matzo tastes like pure wheat. If you like wheat, you’ll appreciate the plainness of this subtle but fortifying taste. It isn’t mixed with any other ingredients like salt, sugar, fats or dairy. It’s a lot of flour and very little water mixed, pounded rolled and baked quickly into thin sheets. Glorious.

 

But here I am about to mix it with other things for those who want to do something with leftover matzo. The only reason you have any left over is because you didn’t eat the whole box plain. I take pity on you, and offer my mother’s Matzo Brei,(Yiddish for “fried matzo”) the savory version:

4 eggs, beaten

2 ½ cup milk, mixed into the eggs

A sprinkle of salt, a dash of pepper, a ½ t. of onion powder mixed in

4 matzo broken into small pieces

1 cup grated mild cheese

Mix all the above and let it soak together for about an hour.

In a large frying pan that has a lid, melt 2 T. butter, add the Matzo mixture and spread evenly. On the lowest possible flame let is cook slowly, covered, for 45 minutes.

 

That’s it. No turning, no fuss.

(Another version skips the cheese, pepper and onion powder and adds vanilla instead, then top with cinnamon sugar when serving. But I swear by the savory one as a full dinner in a pan, with a side of green salad.)

 

This serves two, and can be multiplied as needed, depending on the size of the pan. My favorite comfort food, not only on Passover.

(The photo👆 is one Matzo Brei that was flipped and browned on both sides. I prefer to have a custardy top and crisp bottom)

8 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Yum, the savory one is what I would go for. It sounds delicious.

Evelyn said...

Sounds interesting and looks scrumptious. Thanks for sharing.

Vijaya said...

I've had plain matzo and it reminds me of the really plain roti we ate. It is my favorite too. But it is nice to make it savory with leftovers.

janlcoates said...

I've never had the pleasure - crepes being as close as I've come. Seems like it might be a good idea to have an expert prepare it for you! If you ever get to Nova Scotia, I could provide the pan and ingredients:)

Mirka Breen said...

Jan, I'm taking an invitation to visit Nova Scotia very seriously, at least as far as dropping the idea into my bucket list ;)

MirkaK said...

My mother made the sweet kind of matzo brei when I was growing up, and I enjoyed it then. But, as an adult, I found out that I don't care for matzo, so thank you for eating enough for the two of us!!

Mirka Breen said...

MirkaK, I probably eat enough matzo for four Mirkas. It's my "grounding food." Honest.

Tina Cho said...

I've never tried. Sounds good & healthy!