Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Do You Have a Bucket-list?


The other day I realized my bucket-list is just about empty.

{Clarification: I count only the things I can significantly affect, not wishes like winning the lottery, publishing with a big-five house, or becoming the queen of England. I suppose I could take steps to make any of the above improbably possible, but my list had only the things I could do if I chose to do them.}


The few things that were left on my bucket-list just leaked out or evaporated, as in an open bucket left in the sun for days. A few I had actually accomplished, at least to my own satisfaction even if no one else knows it.


Among the wishes that turned to vapor were—


*Standing in Moscow’s Red Square as snow is falling in January. Think Doctor Zhivago.

{Somehow the romance of it has gone away, and I hear it is much nicer in summer, anyhow.}


*Staying at a five-star hotel or an English country estate for a week with nothing to do except have breakfast in bed and stroll by the river before afternoon high tea.

{The budget isn’t there for this, but neither is the charm. I’d rather watch Masterpiece Theatre with others doing it.}


*Spending a month in Kyoto, Japan, taking in the traditional aesthetic.

{Something of this remains in me, but it’s barely a whiff of a longing and I recognize it as wishing inner balance and peace, not a physical space.}



And so on.


Bit by bit my bucket has emptied. I don’t know if this is a good thing, or an ominous sign of folding it in.


Oh, and I did want to write a truly great novel. I’ve done that, and my agent is shopping it. So far no takers, but for myself that one got checked off: done.


Do you have a bucket-list? How have you gone about emptying it?



17 comments:

Evelyn said...

Not a bucket list. But I do still have some goals/desires/hopes. The big ones are spiritual. I have so much growing to do in that area. I also have some hopes about personal relationships. I would still like to see New Zealand, but I've seen lots of other special places, so if that doesn't happen, I won't feel I've lost out.

Vijaya said...

Interesting that your bucket list is emptying. I'd say it's a good thing because you have found contentment.

I suppose I have many things I still want to do but I live in the shadow of death so I don't really think about those other things, like taking a trip to India with my family, or a pilgrimage to Fatima, Lourdes, Rome. I've been delighted to be able to go on smaller pilgrimages closer to home. I suppose I'm pretty content with my life.

You've just reminded me that I need to send a copy of my latest polished revision to a good friend--she is to publish it if I croak.

Mirka Breen said...

"Croak" and "kick the bucket" are euphemisms for dying, taken directly from farm life. ;)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I don't have an actual bucket list but I think I will borrow yours. Except for Moscow in winter, they all sound delightful. I do want to go to Russia but not in the winter.

Janie Junebug said...

I don't have a bucket list, but I have goals and wishes. My big one is to wander all over England and then maybe head to France. I don't think I'll ever have the money.

Love,
Janie

Kelly Hashway said...

I've always wanted to go to London, and to be honest, I'm not even sure why.

I tend to dream more than add to my bucket list. I dream of adding USA Today or NYT bestseller to my name.

Mirka Breen said...

Bet you will, Kelly.

Barbara Etlin said...

When I was three I absolutely did want to be the queen of England! She had nice jewellery, everyone applauded her, and she was on tv. (No one had the heart to tell me that it wasn't likely to happen.)

Another wish that I don't want anymore is to act in a Shakespearean play at the Festival Theatre in Stratford, Ontario.

Mirka Breen said...

New Zealand is a very concrete place. I vote for your going there next...

Mirka Breen said...

Let's go in summer, then :D

Mirka Breen said...

Anglophile minds think alike...

Mirka Breen said...

Maybe start with replacing "all over England" with an itinerary? Doable :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting how bucket lists change over the years. I guess my list would be mostly travel destinations (with family in tow!). You're right about how some places are more enjoyable watched from afar than to actually partake in or visit. For example I think the pyramids would be amazing to see but I'd probably rather watch a movie about them than to actually go in person.

Mirka Breen said...

When Israelis could finally go to visit Egypt after peace accords were signed, my mother went to see the pyramids and told me they are far more impressive than any photograph could convey. But your point is one I really get, as reality and what we are really yearning for are on two different planes.

Janie Junebug said...

Not enough the flight is doable at this point.

janlcoates said...

Interesting, as always. Like Vijaya's comment about contentment. #1 on my list would be living closer to my kids; #2 these days is to add illustrator to jobs I've done. Working hard on #2, always hopeful for #1. And I've always wanted to live in France for an extended time.

Mirka Breen said...

#1 and #2 are so doable, and #3, while requiring planning and intentionality, is not off the charts... Go, Jan!