Tuesday, January 12, 2016

WHEN IT RAINS…

California is coming out of a four-year drought in style.

 Raindrops are falling on my head

And just like the guy whose feet
Are too big for his bed
Nothing seems to fit
Those raindrops
Are falling on my head
They keep falling.

©Mack David 1969

 I look out my window at the kinetic water drops dancing on our deck. Then I follow my cats’ contemplative gaze onto the glistening green hills in the distance. I look at my kitties again, and wonder what they see.


 They may be wondering when I will open the cat door and let them wander out. Conversely, they may be wondering why some crazy young humans are skipping over puddles across the street, relishing getting wet.


Unlike us, I have no evidence my felines are contemplating how only a few months ago everything was bone dry, how saturated the ground is now, and what does it, if anything, say about what will be.

Also unlike us, I doubt they see the end of the draught as a metaphor for life. I’m thinking how it is about time my writing life could use a welcome downpour. Offers to publish, inspiration for writing something in a way that’s never been conceived of before, new readers.
 Could happen.

The gates of heaven opened to bless us mortals with rain. I’m witnessing now. Come; let’s go sing in the rain.


 

10 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Rain makes me think of frizzy hair. ;) I wish good things would rain down on all of us. That would be nice.

Ann Herrick said...

I've always liked rainy days--as long as I don't have to be outside. :D I always feel a little more inspired when I look out at the rain as I write.

Anonymous said...

I'm singing with you, Mirka!

Evelyn said...

I'm glad you're finally getting rain and I wish for you those others things. We had snow today.

Vijaya said...

Aw, Mirka, that last picture is GOLD. May you have showers of blessings this year!!!

Unknown said...

May the rain fall heavy on you!

BB said...

So glad you got some rain finally. Drought is nothing to laugh at. Serious biz.

Yanting Gueh said...

Oh, it COULD happen, Mirka. I hope it does for all of us! (I've always liked rainy days. :))

Anonymous said...

Enjoy all that rain. I enjoy rainy days if I don't have to go out, instead staying cozy inside like your cats.

Dionna said...

The sky, the land, the spirits of others certainly seem to renew after a rain. I can only imagine how that refreshment is multiplied when rain falls after a drought.

Perhaps this will be the theme of one of your novels to come.