Tuesday, November 21, 2017

GRATITUDE in Many Ways

It’s almost that time again, the time to give thanks, a.k.a. Thanksgiving.



There are studies that show living in gratitude makes a person happy(ier), healty(ier), and more productive. Did we need these studies to confirm what all cultures everywhere have long enshrined into their fabrics? Apparently we do. What the pious knew all along, the freethinkers needed academic research to prove.


Jews interject TODA LA’EL = Thank G-d into every other sentence.
Muslims do the same, only pronouncing it IL HAMDU L’EEL-LAH.
Catholics of yore used to say it in Latin, DEO GRATIAS
Hindus say BHAGAVAAN KA SHUKR HAI
Budhists just say THANK YOU.


I will do my best to remember that Thanksgiving is not a meal or putting up with irritating relatives, as the modern ethos reports on it. It’s a way of being.

I thank G-d for enabling me to write here, and I’m grateful to you for reading this. 

9 comments:

Vijaya said...

This is my favorite American holiday for all the things you say. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Mirka Breen said...

It was my mother's favorite, and even when I grew up in Israel she loved to tell me about her Thanksgiving holidays of her childhood in Chicago. It was downright exotic for me then.

Janie Junebug said...

I wish you a blessed Thanksgiving.

Love,
Janie

Evelyn said...

"Enter into his gates with Thanksgiving and into his courts with praise!"

Mirka Breen said...

Thank you.

Mirka Breen said...

Amen.

janlcoates said...

After some life events of late, I've been making a point of taking time to feel grateful every day - it's good for the soul!

Mirka Breen said...

Yes, the point is that it is good for you.

Kelly Hashway said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a great day.