Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Is This SUMMER?

Not complaining, mind you. I live in the land of eternal Spring. But it’s also the place where Mark Twain famously said, “the coldest winter I ever spent was Summer in San Francisco.”

So while we are not sweating away, nor sipping lemonade on the porch, some things are decidedly summery.

Days are longer…
Dinners are later…
            My kitties wake me up earlier…

And I continue the rhythm of not writing first drafts until the school year resumes.

I no longer have kids at home climbing on my knees as I try to concentrate. Well, DD is home, but she treats me more like a suite-mate than a padded chair. I don’t have the excuse of years past that I will wait until they are back in school during the day and I can count on uninterrupted time.

However, I discovered that re-charging the creative batteries is serious business. For years, I wrote original stories from September to late May, and only revised or polished in summer. I found this rhythm worked for me.  I’ve kept it.

The Gershwin song Summertime casts its spell, magical and wistful as ever.

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high
Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry
One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky
But till that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With daddy and mamma standing by…

©Shelagh Duffett 


Yup, it’s summer.

8 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

That tends to be my routine as well since for so many years summer was...well, just different! It's absolutely my favorite season and I was one who exulted in summer break from school, whether child or mom, it was the same feeling of freedom.

Evelyn said...

Wishing you lovely summer days, my friend.

Vijaya said...

Mirka, I love that you have kept your writerly rhythm. Recharging is important. And how nice your daughter is home for the summer ... I picture musical days and evenings. Enjoy!

Janie Junebug said...

I once visited San Francisco during August. The cool weather felt so good. It was a great break from Florida.

Love,
Janie

Kelly Hashway said...

If that's the routine that works for you, there's nothing wrong with it.

Mirka Breen said...

...Except for my curious need to justify it, perhaps.

Anonymous said...

I've always loved Gershwin's Summertime, thanks for the memory. Your schedule sounds like it really works for you. I like the idea of recharging each summer.

Jenni said...

I also draft during the school year, but for a different reason. Drafting is less time consuming for me than revising, and I have less time during the school year. Summer is generally when I revise. If your rhythm works for you, why change it?