Tuesday, October 10, 2017

What’s Wrong?

a.k.a The Art of Diagnostics

Some months ago, I had an odd sensation of my throat swelling. I went to sleep thinking I was likely coming down with something. I woke up the next day with a swollen tongue to boot, and a vague unease in my digestive system. The swelling was mildly sore, nothing that would make me reach for medication.


I also felt peculiarly tired and, while all fit with a possible reaction to infection, I somehow felt there was something different about it.



Long story short (love this peculiar expression)— after trials and tribulations, and a wandering set of symptoms getting worse, better, then much worse, I found the culprit. The natural sugar alternative Stevia, otherwise revered by natural food folks, was causing a sort of allergic response from my immune system. Until then, my body was not known for reacting to anything that wasn’t attacking it. I don’t remember having verified allergies to anything, even as many around me did. There was the suspected reaction to Penicillin, never verified. There was a sort of reaction to mascara, also not clear. All go back to adolescence, and penciled in my medical records with a question mark.
But, really, not really.


So in my quest to solve this problem I didn’t make the right connection for a while.




This reminded me of the process of writing. There are times when a writer knows something is just not right, but all suggested feedback rings false. For myself, I will attempt the fixes anyhow, if only to try to be the humble and receptive person I aspire to be. Then, the fixes make the story need other fixes, and eventually nothing is working.


It’s a matter of accurate diagnostics.

When it comes to doctors, be they medical or book doctors, a good diagnostician is the most important quality. If you are one, or have such on your team, you’ve hit the jackpot.


12 comments:

Evelyn said...

I agree. Having the right diagnosis is essential.

Kelly Hashway said...

My body reacts very weirdly to medication. That's why I rarely ever take it. I swear my body thinks it can and should self-heal. ;)

So true of writing! You have to know what is causing the problem in order to fix it.

Mirka Breen said...

And you've been one of the Beta doctors, so I get to thank you again! <3

Mirka Breen said...

Actually, any medicine can only help the body heal itself, so your body it correct :)

Vijaya said...

Agreed, for both health and stories. What can be aggravating is that often the remedy proposed doesn't work :(

Janie Junebug said...

As I read the symptoms, I thought, That sounds like me when I have an allergic reaction to certain foods that I sometimes consume in a small quantity by accident. So I'm sorry about the problem, but glad you know the reason. Your comparison with writing is excellent.

Love,
Janie

Mirka Breen said...

...Which is another way of saying it was not a remedy.

Mirka Breen said...

Yes, fortunately it was always in small amounts... Otherwise it could have been dire.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm allergic to sugar. It makes me break out in fat.

Mirka Breen said...

:D
There's always the no sugar/no sweetener option

janlcoates said...

Such a sweet feeling when the self-diagnosis is correct - both in writing and health! I had a hive reaction to a certain brand of green tea once, despite drinking green tea for years - I wondered if it was some sort of pesticide...

Mirka Breen said...

That would have been my guess; something added to that particular batch/brand. But that leaves you with more "opportunities" to get those hives again, as additives are likely not exclusive to that green tea. So we're back to the tough but essential art of diagnosis...