Tuesday, March 24, 2015

LOGIC versus LOGISTICS

I have a dear Beta reader whose logical mind helps catch inconsistencies and discontinuities in my stories. Every writer should be so lucky as to have such a reader go over their work. When she puts in the margins “this does not make sense to me”—  I know it is not a reaction to something that does not exist in the real world, but something that could not exist in the story’s created world.


The story’s scenario must make sense from within. Because the rules of our every day world may not apply, it must really truly absolutely make sense. In the same way that a story told from the point of view of an insane narrator creates an internal perspective that is coherent even if delusional, we must strive to take a reader with us into a delusional state.
Sounds crazy? It sort of is.


Protagonist: “Close the window, it’s cold outside.”
Antagonist: “And if I close the window, will it be warm outside?”

Logic is overrated when it comes to any spiritual flight, and a good story provides just that—
 a magical ride.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I always think of it as consistency within a story. You gotta follow your own story's rules, even if the rules are crazy!

Evelyn said...

You always have such interesting blog posts, dear Mirka. Some readers read so fast, the inconsistencies won't matter to them. My husband is that kind of reader. He reads at least three times as fast as I do. Any inconsistencies in a story that bother me, likely never even registered with him. :) Just saying.

Johnell said...

Ha! I've never heard that line, but I have to find a way to use it. Very good advice and you are lucky to have such a great beta reader. I can't wait to get mine ready enough for beta readers.

Kelly Hashway said...

Inconsistencies aren't good. You're Lucky to have such a good beta reader.

Vijaya said...

Yes, my critters have kept me honest. By the way, my first cat saw himself as a lion too! How I miss him!

janlcoates said...

I have a small writing group, and I'm always so grateful when they tell me they can't "see" something I've written. As I read somewhere, trying to critique your own work after a while is like pressing your nose up to the mirror to check out your hair:)

Lily Cate said...

This kind of feedback is priceless!

Anonymous said...

You are blessed to have a 'tell-it-like-it-is' beta! Love the flying carpet cat!

Anna Staniszewski said...

These types of things always pull me out of stories, even if they're tiny and don't really matter. That's why it's such a pleasure to read stories that feel effortless and where the logic just works.

Yanting Gueh said...

Honest, tell-it-like-it-is, logical critique partners and beta readers are gems. You're very fortunate, Mirka. :)

Mirka Breen said...

...And I know it.