Tuesday, May 14, 2013

What Folly, BLOGGING


Another blogger posted the question- is blogging essay writing?

She then quoted the incomparable story teller and essayist E. B. white:
The essayist is a self-liberated man, sustained by the childish belief that everything he thinks about, everything that happens to him, is of general interest.

Does sound eerily like he’s referring to something that didn't exist in his day- blogging.
A blog can be many things- a running ad for a product or service punctuated by general interest funny observations, a diary-journal that would normally be private but for some reason the owner feels the need to put it out there, or a collection of sayings/quotations meant to inspire.

Or, like my little corner here, a blog can be the place I pretend I’m an essayist the world cares to hear from. A mini Nora Ephron, or an E. B. White. Rather preposterous without their accomplishments or renown, don’t you think?
I don’t think, not even for a minute, that my opinion matters more than anyone else’s. I just enjoy voicing it. My excuse? It’s genetic. Both my parents were opinionated and very articulate people. I come from a cultural group of which it is said, “ you've got two Jews- you’ll get three opinions.”

Even a socially shy individual is still brimming with a need to share how things look and seem to them. It’s basic, like liking sweets. If you don’t like sweets, oh well, there’s always an exception.

That I like to voicedoesn't mean anyone likes to hear. So know that I value and feel deep gratitude for those who are reading this this very minute.

Hey, that’s *you.* 



14 comments:

Becky Shillington said...

Wonderful post, Mirka. I personally love reading blogs by other writers and "thinkers," and enjoy sharing my own thoughts on my blog. For me, it is also about creating a community that bridges the solitary day-to-day writer's life. We listen to each other and learn from each other, and this helps us grow. Thank you for this! = )

Vijaya said...

I come from a cultural group of which it is said, “ you've got two Jews- you’ll get three opinions.”

Love this.

Anna Staniszewski said...

I think that quote sums up not only blogging but social media in general. So interesting!

Ann Herrick said...

Blogging definitely provides a vast opportunity to share one's thoughts and opinions, for better or worse! :D

Kelly Hashway said...

I guess they are a lot alike. I view blogging as a way to meet others with similar interests. I love having conversations with people all over the word through my blog.

Unknown said...

I know what you mean but the counter-argument comes from Horton Hears a Who: "We've GOT to make noises in greater amounts! So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts!"

You just never know when some small thing you say will make a big difference. Keep on blogging!

Mirka Breen said...

You bet. I'll stop when I have nothing to say, not when I have no one listening.

Your blog, Kristen, is one of my favorites. Check her out, folks.

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it be great if we could all be the next Nora Ephrons? And I think you hit the nail on the head - it really doesn't matter if people are reading widely, because probably SOMEBODY is reading.

Anonymous said...

I got a nice chuckle out of E.B. White's definition. And I have to say, I always enjoy hearing your voice. =)

Ruth Schiffmann said...

I like the way blogging becomes a conversation that people can drop into or out of at their convenience. I'm not much of a conversationalist in person. I like that online I can gather my thoughts before I hit the post button.

Christina Farley said...

I guess I like blogging because I feel like I have something to say and I can say it whenever I like. I love reading other people's blogs to see their perspective.

Marcia said...

Yes, I've thought about blog posts as having a lot in common with essays. Blogging is a form of self-publishing.

Yanting Gueh said...

Yay, that's me. :) I never thought I'd enjoy blogging on the books I read this much, coming from a reserved family and I often not voicing my thoughts to my friends. I'm like Ruth: not much of a chat in person but one who can contribute when given more time behind the screen. It's our thought process, I suppose.

Blogging has allowed me to talk about one of my deepest loves for two years now. And I've found new friends along the way, friends who would listen and even like what I have to say.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Love the title of this post! I think that phrase (in one form or another) goes through my mind often and yet I go back again and again to my blog, wondering sometimes why anyone else does. But it's those people who keep me going. Lately I've had much less time to visit other blogs, which then makes me feel guilty about my own. Geesh! What folly indeed.