Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Temptations


I generally avoid temptation, unless I can’t resist it.

I should avoid bookstores when money is tight. I always tell myself I’ll just look, read a little, and only purchase if it is a must.

And must it almost always is.

I don’t have issues with chocolate, or intoxicants. I have an issue with books.

Now it occurs to me why, no matter what living space I’ve occupied, I was driven out by books. First they asked me to just move over, squeeze a little. I’d do it for books, because they are worth it, and each one asks for only a little. Then they took over.
©Painting by Shelagh Duffett
I may have to sleep on the lawn, but I most certainly wouldn’t think of leaving my books there. They might, you know, get wet.
Now that I think of it, my parents’ home was walled with books. When they divorced, my father left with, as he later put it, only his books.
Briefly we had some shelf space, and then we didn’t. My mother eventually replaced the space he left with more books.
And my father’s home with his second wife got lined with books.
With such a legacy, what chance did I have?
I read them, I write them. But most of all- I get them. Then I get more.
I really should avoid temptation, unless I can’t resist.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We share the same temptation. I too grew up in, and now live in, a house full of books. It just doesn't feel like home, if you don't have to push over a little stack of books to make room for the cup of tea one has to sip while reading!

Ann Herrick said...

At least books aren't fattening! ;)

Vijaya said...

Oh, boy, this one is a tough one for me as well. We gave away over half our books when we moved and I still miss some of them. Thankfully, I have a library within walking distance now, so I often make purchase requests. Fall is a good time :) But like you, I'll always have books on shelves ...

Kelly Hashway said...

Were you inside my head when you wrote this? ;)

Mirka Breen said...

Depends on what you do with them...

Mirka Breen said...

If I could I would, Kelly. Just to get a smidgen of your can-do-it-ness.

Katie L. Carroll said...

Hello, my name is Katie and I'm addicted to books.

Shannon Hitchcock ~ Children's Writer said...

My house overfloweth with books! Last time I moved the movers were aghast that one person owned so many books. Now I'm trying to buy most books on my Kindle and only indulge in a hard copy when I'm head over heels in love!

Marcia said...

That first line (and last, as it turns out) made me LOL.

Mirka Breen said...

First is my paraphrase of Mae West, and last is my paraphrase of my paraphrase… If that makes sense.

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

I too am a book-a-holic. Most writers are. Thanks for visiting my guest post today and commenting.

Hava Rembrand said...

Sorry to say the obvious, you need to move on to Kindle or any other E-reader, it is really a wonderful experience once you get used to it, and that happens fast. Especially with my aging eyes, it is a real improvement to black ink on yellowing paper. I have kept my books (all over the house) but I have a growing electronic bookself that goes with me everywhere.

Mirka Breen said...

We'll all get there, Hava. *EVENTUALLY* :)