Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Ideal Blog Reader


Yesterday I met my ideal reader.

I am thinking of the ideal reader of this blog, not my fiction. I may be speaking of you.

In a place unrelated to the publishing business, someone I don’t know well walked over to me and told me she reads my blog, and loves it. She went on to say some of the most moving words about my writing to have crossed my tickertape. And then she added: “You’re funny too.”

Mind you, she is a busy, productive and accomplished woman. Because she likes this blog, I will add that she is sensitive as well, and has good taste.

And she is not an editor or an agent, nor does she write fiction or buys children’s books. She is not one of the ‘followers’ or ‘Like button clickers,’ or anyone I would have remotely imagined to have a reason to come here.

She likes my writing, that’s all. The ideal reader.

This got me thinking about our readers, the ones we don’t know and would not have guessed we speak to. We read and see movies about the creepy kind. Not much about the sane and the good. We know the ones we know. The others are beyond the sea, where we know there are souls but the naked eye can’t see.

And then, for one brief moment, I remembered the other reason I write. In the roaring traffic’s boom, beyond the confines of my lonely room, I think of you, the reader.
©Painting by Shelagh Duffett
©Happy Valentine’s Day©


12 comments:

Vijaya said...

A spot on post. I need to let people whose work I love let them know more often ...

Anne M Leone said...

What a lovely post; perfect for Valentine's Day! So often we really don't think about our readers, but just ourselves, or our unfortunate void of readers. I didn't quite get the compliment you did, but I bumped into a complete stranger the other day who also reads my blog and told me she really enjoyed it! I was really quite speechless--in a good way!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Sometimes one random comment from one reader can be just what a writer needs to keep going.

Evelyn said...

What a wonderful gift! I'm so glad this person shared with you her thoughts and feelings.

And what a good reminder from you to us that we can make a positive difference in someone else's life, with so little effort. If we just take the time.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

What a lovely post, Mirka. And how nice that this person let you know how much they enjoy your blog.

Marcia said...

Wow, we really need to let people know when we appreciate them. Lovely.

AnneB said...

Something like that really makes your day, doesn't it?

Mirka Breen said...

Makes me think about the known and the unknown, the seen and the unseen. (Reader)
When I put something out there (here) it is no longer mine.

Kelly Hashway said...

Mirka, I tagged you on my blog. Stop by to see what to do now.
http://kellyhashway.blogspot.com/2012/02/tag-im-it.html

Mirka Breen said...

Tagged! I'll be doing my best to study this tag-thing. Need coffee~~~

Anonymous said...

I love your words. So very true. :)

Jeremy Bates said...

Nice blog! I love the words, so mean to me..